Friday, October 1, 2010

Stephanie Mastini

Stephanie Mastini: 'My two battles with cancer'


Kevin Spacey's former sister-in-law Stephanie Mastini has suffered two bouts of breast cancer in less than two years. Here she gives a graphic account of dealing with her illnesses - and offers advice to women everywhere.

Steph! So glad you're on the mend. Tell us the history of your cancer problems leading up to the recent serious health episode.

It all began on a relaxing sun kissed day. I was enjoying the sun and applying protection lotion when I suddenly felt a small pea-sized lump in my right breast. I knew immediately what it was. It didn’t move like the other cysts I had felt before. I have always had an uncanny way of knowing my body.

I waited a few weeks to gather my thoughts and get prepared. I should have acted immediately. Act quickly. After a few weeks, I asked my internist to feel the lump. She didn’t think I had anything to worry about but had been my doctor for years so she knew me well, and sent me to have an immediate mammogram. Immediately after the test they sent me down the hall for an ultrasound. I had started the process of acceptance. I was told that I would have to have surgery to remove the tumour. We didn’t know if it was cancer for sure. The doctor said it was very small and to go on my last minute decision to book a ten day Caribbean cruise.

So off I went. For all I knew I would never have the chance again to go on that solo cruise, so I didn’t hesitate to recover with a tan. Actually the truth is, I didn’t want to put my life on hold. And the doctor didn’t seem concerned, given the size - she told me to go have fun. I went and had a ball though I was a bit tired at times.

On my cruise I encountered complete strangers that I now realize were angels that took a human form. They all told me that I had an incredible aura surrounding me that was filled with goodness and healing light … and that I would be alright. How did they know? Ironically I was calm and felt no anxiety in those 10 days. When I returned I was told I had cancer and within two weeks I was given a lumpectomy and than began radiation. I couldn’t complete the radiation due to burning of my skin and the cancer meds made my bones ache terribly. The oncologist assured me I would be alright without the medication

No comments:

Post a Comment